Strangely, I’d been thinking about this post over the weekend and prioritising my action points and how to achieve them, then yesterday I received a letter from the team at Elephant Training and HR – asking me to do almost exactly that! Their letter reminded conference attendees of how Jason Judkins, CEO of Yealands, gave all employees a self addressed letter and asked them to fill in their goals at the beginning of the year. These were then sealed and opened at the Christmas party where they were asked to explain how they had gone about achieving their goals and received a $200 bonus. The results were exceptional, both personally and professionally.
So Elephant created a letter to each of us to capture our goals and actions post conference, with the intention that we bring them along to open at next years’ conference and collectively celebrate our successes and achievements. They framed the goals as actions to transform HR in my business, and actions to transform the HR profession.
I’ve framed mine a little differently here as my focus has been on the ideas, wins, changes and initiatives developed during conference that I could takeaway and use in my business to transform the way we do things and as HR add more value to the business. Some have been instantly actionable and are relatively small changes, others will take some time to implement and require greater effort and dedication, but here are my top ten, in no particular order:
- Instigate walking meetings and stand ups; movement stimulates.
- Whilst treadmill working stations may be the dream, a great start would be non-formal and/or moving work stations promoting collaboration and collective / flexible working environments.
- Use phones to record and share company stories.
- Boost and promote the use of Yammer for internal communications; utilise more than one platform. Drive staff use of and interaction with
- Strategy on a page; simplify all communications, processes and documentation.
- Use more visuals; in training, communications, recruitment…and so on.
- Raise the profile of culture and embed into business strategy. Change culture along the way.
- K.I.S. = In everything ask Keep? Improve? Stop / Start / Simplify?
- Deliver, deliver, deliver.
- Keep top of mind “What’s in it for them?”.